Sunday, May 26, 2013

Chapter Twelve


"Marry me. Marry me Khushi Kumari Gupta."

Khushi couldn't believe what she was hearing. Arnav Singh Raizada was asking her to marry him.

"B-b-but Arnav... we only know each other for a short time-"

"I know." He cupped her face with a hand. "But I know you're the one."

Khushi was touched by his words. "Arnav...."

Arnav kissed her forehead, her cheeks, nose, chin, and then lips. "Marry me," he said, resting his forehead on hers.

Khushi knew she loved him. And she knew he loved her. But should she say yes?

Dhak-dhak! Dhak-dhak!
Dhak-dhak! Dhak-dhak!

I should say yes, she wondered.

Dhak-dhak-dhak-dhak!
Dhak-dhak-dhak-dhak!
Dhak-dhak-dhak-dhak!
Dhak-dhak-dhak-dhak!

Her heart was right. And her mind agreed. She should say yes.

Khushi was about to say yes when she remembered her parents. She remembered their cruel words. They would never agree. Ever.

"No," she whispered.

Arnav, who was nibbling on her neck, looked up. "What?"

Khushi got up and Arnav let her. Khushi sat and thought of what her parents would say. Arnav moved in front of her and got on his knees and cupped her face.

"Khushi, what's wrong? Why are you saying no?"

Khushi shook her head. "No, Arnav, I can't-"

"What-"

"My parents would never agree!"

Arnav shook his head, but Khushi continued.

"They always say how they're going to have me marry someone of their choice-"

"I don't care."

"Arnav-"

"I. Don't. Care. Understood? You and I will get married, and I don't care if they agree or not."

"But Arnav-"

"But nothing. Okay? Nothing. I don't care what they have to say. Especially with the way they treat you, then fuck no."

Khushi looked down.

"I'm sorry Khushi," Arnav said, stroking her cheek with his thumb, "but that's how I feel."

Khushi looked up at him and nodded. Arnav nodded as well, and then held her hand tightly. Khushi did as well, placing their hands on her lap.

"So, Khushi Kumari Gupta... will you marry me?"

Khushi looked into Arnav's eyes and then sighed. "As much as I want to say yes.... Arnav, at least speak to your father? Don't you think we're rushing into it?"

"No Khushi, absolutely not. You love me and I love you. So what's the problem?"

"I need some time to think," she caressed his face. "'Kay?"

Arnav looked away.

"Please?"

He looked back at her and her humble smile. He held her hand and nodded.

"Fine," he muttered.

Khushi leaned in and pecked him on his lips. "Just a short time. That's all I ask for. I love you Arnav - I really do."

"I love you too Khushi. With my life and soul."

Khushi nodded and kissed him again. "I'll see you in school, okay?"

Arnav nodded. "Okay."

And Khushi got up to leave, that is, after their kiss.

*~*

When Khushi got home, she saw some people leaving. When she got inside, there was a whole bunch of stuff around.

"What's going on," Khushi asked.

"Your alliance was made," Garima said.

Khushi flinched. "What?"

"Your alliance was made. You will be getting married to a boy from your college."

Khushi's jaw dropped.

"Now you can't put is to shame," Shashi said. "The boy is well educated and we found their family worthy of ours. So, your marriage is planned with that boy."

Khushi cried. "You can't do that!"

"How dare you raise your voice! And yes, we just did! Now get out of my face and go to your room!"

Khushi felt really hurt and ran to her room crying. She held her pillow tightly and cried. This was just what she feared and now she was getting married to someone she didn't even know!

What would she do now?

There was a bang at her door and Khushi opened it to see her mother.

"If you mess up this time Khushi, then there will be a big problem," she warned. "Please don't mess up this time."

"But Ma-"

"Please Khushi. I beg you. Don't mess this up."

This was the first time Garima had ever asked so much from Khushi. She didn't know what to do at this point. She just nodded and Garima left.

Khushi sat down on her bed. What am I supposed to do now, Khushi wondered. I can't just abandon Arnav but... but my parents. I know there's harsh to me but... but they're the reason I'm in this world.

Khushi wiped her tears away and looked at her reflection. She rearranged herself and looked at herself.

Don't forget your life goal, a side of her said. Your goal is to prove your parents wrong. That you as a woman can go far.

But does that mean you have to real your heart, the other side said. You love Arnav been with Arnav, you could do that!

Maybe, but it's not the same. You can't let your emotions get in the way Khushi! If you do, you'll never be able to prove to your parents that you're strong and capable of anything.

But-

But nothing! You have to prove them wrong! Or your life will remain crap! Mind what I said.

Khushi blinked back to reality. She looked left to right and knew what she had to do.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh finally u updted been stalking ur blog
    anywys hpe she dont tke the wrong step

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank u for the double update ... :)
    Arnav is such a nice guy ....
    Awesome part ....
    Hope Arnav- Khushi ki marriage ho ...

    ReplyDelete