Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Chapter Ten

Aryan and a worker walked into Arnav's room. Arnav was laying back in bed, his arms crossed, looking out the window, when Aryan and the worker came in. Arnav acknowledged their presence and then went went back to looking out the window. The worker set the food down and Aryan sat down at the foot of the bed.

"Chote," Aryan said, "have something to eat."

"No," Arnav said lowly."

"Chote, you have to eat."

"I don't want to."

Aryan came closer. "Alright Chote, what is going on? For the past few days, you've been acting like this. What's the deal?"

"Nothing."

Aryan sighed. "I'm your father Chote; I know."

"No you don't."

"Just cause I'm not your mother."

Arnav looked up at him. "No."

"Then?"

Arnav looked down and sighed. "Dad, please, don't ask."

"But I am."

"Why?"

"Because it's obvious that you're bothered and upset."

Arnav rolled his eyes and looked away.

"And it's obvious that... this isn't just any problem... but a girl problem."

Arnav's eyes shot up at his fathers. "How'd you know?"

"You forget that your old man has already gone through the phase."

Arnav looked side to side.

"Now tell me: what exactly is the problem?"

"... I don't want to say anything."

Aryan sighed. "Fine... but, at least eat."

He got up and left Arnav's room. Later, Dai Ma came in to take the tray, but Arnav hadn't touched a single thing on it.

"Beta, why aren't you eating," she said, tears forming.

"Im not hungry."

"But if you don't eat, you'll die," she cried.

Arnav looked at her with raged eyes. "THEN I'D RATHER DIE!"

Dai Ma flinched and she quickly left, crying. Arnav got mad at himself and threw the lamp off his right-bedside table. Aryan came back that instant and was pissed.

"WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON," Aryan boomed.

If there was anyone who could tame Arnav, it was Aryan, and Arnav cooled down and looked away.

"Seriously Chote, you HAVE to tell me what's eating you! If you don't tell me, then how can I help you?!"

"I don't need any help?"

"Really? It doesn't seem like you're getting anywhere, the way I see it!"

Arnav just looked at Aryan. "Dad-"

"Don't call me that. If you really thought of me as your dad, the. You'd tell me so I could help you. There is nothing in this work that can stop me from giving my only child his happiness. ... but I guess you don't care."

Aryan started to walk away and just when he was at the door, Arnav spoke.

"Khushi."

Aryan stopped and looked at him confused.

"Her name is Khushi."

"Khushi what?"

"Khushi Kumari Gupta."

"Gupta... meaning Shashi Gupta's daughter?"

Arnav looked away and nodded.

"So...?"

Arnav sighed and decided to tell his father everything. He told Aryan everything from the day he met Khushi, up until now.

"So that's what it is," Aryan said, when Arnav finished.

"Yeah," he said in a low voice.

"And you didn't tell me this before? Why?"

"... I don't know."

Aryan looked away in frustration and then looked back at Arnav. "Chote, if you told me earlier, I would've done something. I could've helped."

Arnav looked at him.

"And I still am," and he got up to leave.

Arnav was confused and unsure, so he got up. "Dad-"

"I will do what it takes to keep my son happy," Aryan said, looking back at him. "No matter what," and he left.

Arnav was left confused. "... what's he gonna do?"

*~*

Later that day, Arnav had started vomiting as well. His health deteriorated and he had gotten sick. Aryan had the doctor come I and told him that he would have to eat, but Arnav wouldn't budge. Nor would he take his medication. Aryan knew at that point that he would have to do something.

And do it fast.

*~*

Khushi was in the kitchen, preparing lunch. Her father was at work and her mother went to do a little shopping. Shyam was at school, leaving Khushi alone.

It was during her cooking, that Khushi would eat a little. And in the middle of the night, she would sneak into the kitchen and would eat then. She just couldn't control her hunger anymore and she just had to eat.

There was a knock at the front door. Unlike last time, when Arnav came bursting in, Khushi would keep the door closed. She didn't know when Arnav would come again, so she did it to be cautious.

But then again, isn't she hoping too much at that point?

Khushi set the food down and went to open the door, expecting her mother. Instead, when she opened the door, it was Aryan Singh Raizada.

"N-namaste," Khushi said, putting her hands together.

"Namaste," Aryan said, putting his hands together.

"Um... Babuji isn't here. Nor is Amma."

"Good. Because I'd like to talk to you."

Khushi gulped. "Me?"

Aryan nodded.

Khushi stood aside and led him into the living room. She wondered why Aryan could be here. Khushi had Aryan sit down and she sat down in a chair beside him.

"It has one to my attention that the star student of our university had been absent for quite some time," Aryan said, folding his hands.

Khushi let out her breath in relief. It wasn't for what she thought. "No," she said," in a low voice. "I haven't been."

"Why is that?"

Khushi said nothing.

"Don't tell me you're dropping out."

Khushi shook her head. "No...."

"Then?"

Khushi stayed mum.

"Betiyan, if you don't tell me, then I'll have to put you as a drop out."

Khushi looked up. "No sir; I haven't been going due to... personal problems."

Aryan just looked at her. "Personal problems?"

Khushi nodded, looking down.

"Family?"

Khushi nodded again, not moving her eyes up.

"Parents?"

She nodded.

"Sibling?"

She shook her head side to side.

"A little bit," he asked to be reassured.

Khushi nodded.

"Outside?"

Khushi nodded.

"Friends?"

Khushi shook her head. "No friends."

Aryan just looked at her. "What do you mean 'no friends'?"

"Meaning I don't have."

"Oh.... I'm sorry betiyan."

Khushi shook her head. "I don't mind."

He shook his head. "Relationships?"

Khushi shook her head.

"... Arnav?"

Khushi's eyes shot up at his and gaped. Aryan just looked at her with a serious expression. He was serious, which meant he knew.

"You... know," Khushi asked.

"Just found out," he said, gesturing with his hands out to the side, and then folded them again.

Khushi looked down, feeling herself go red.

"What's the matter betiyan? Did my son do something?"

Khushi looked at him. "Is that why you're here?"

"Half."

She looked back down.

Aryan leaned forward in his seat. "Betiyan, you have no idea how much you mean to Chote."

"Chote?"

"Arnav."

Khushi nodded in understanding. "How is he?"

"Not good."

Khushi got worried. "What do you mean? Is he okay? Is he sick?"

Aryan just looked at her.

"Please tell me?"

"Do you care?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"Because I lo-"

Khushi stopped herself. She was about to spill the wand to Arnav's FATHER. But Aryan understood and smiled. He placed his hand over Khushi's head and Khushi looked up at him.

"Bless you betiyan. I knew you would say that, or at least, almost say that."

Khushi blushed, looking back down.

"Don't worry. I don't care of status, wealth, nothing. I just want my son to be happy. Ever since his mother passed away..."

Khushi looked at him.

"... that was all I cared about. I can do anything for my son. And if you're his happiness, then I will do what it takes to give it to him. He loves you Khushi. He really does. And after what happened.... Arnav is refusing to take his medication Khushi."

"What? Why?"

"Because he's upset. He wants you. At night I went to check up on him and all he kept doing was call out your name in his sleep."

That brought tears to Khushi's eyes. "He... he does that?"

Aryan nodded. "Please see him. He's stopped school, he won't eat, he's sick, and he won't take his medication at all. Please go see him." He put his hands together. "Please-"

Khushi held his hands. "Please, don't do that. You're an elder of mine. Don't do that."

"Then will you go to see him."

Khushi took a deep breath and nodded. "I'll go and see him."

"Then we should go quick."

"Today?"

Aryan nodded. "He's getting worse and worse by the day."

"I'll go. Can we go now?"

"I was hoping you'd say that," he smiled.

6 comments:

  1. Too good again. awesome story keep it up. absolutely loved it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very emotional update , hope the next one has more Arnav Khushi !

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was an amazinggg update!!

    Aryan is indeed a smart man!!

    Poor arnav
    But now m sure khushi will make things right!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bless da couple hpefully everyfin will get better
    great update waiting fr da nxt one
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. aww thank you so much. you didn't turn aryan to be a willain. arnav is such a lover boy

    ReplyDelete