Monday, May 11, 2015

Chapter Thirty One

Arnav groaned and burped.

"Arnav," Khushi scolded.

Arnav shrugged. "Sorry, I had too many luchis," he said innocently.

Khushi shook her head while Aryan chuckled.

"I love dinners like this," Aryan said. "All of us happy and kidding around. Its all thanks to you Khushi - you've brought happiness into our lives again," he winked.

Khushi blushed. "Surely I didn't do anything."

"But you have," Arnav said. "Dinner used to be dead quiet before you came. It was just awkward and weird. Thank you babe," he winked.

Khushi blushed and gaped at him while Arnav chuckled.

"You have no shame," Divya said.

Khushi looked up at her and she was shaking her head with a grin.

"Can't help it," Arnav shrugged.

Arnav caught the look on his father's face and he frowned.

"Oh don't you give me that face dad. I remember the stuff you did."

"What he did," Khushi questioned.

"I've done nothing," Aryan said innocently, taking a drink of his water.

"Counter top," Arnav said, and Aryan sputtered out his water.

Khushi looked at Aryan with wide eyes and went over to him. "Papa are you okay?"

Aryan wiped his mouth. "I thought we'd never mention that again."

Arnav shrugged. "You can't blame me for any of my actions. I just get it from my old man," he said, crossing his arms.

"What are you talking about," Divya asked.

"Busy in the kitchen," Arnav sang.

"Arnav," Aryan scolded.

Divya's eyes widened and she looked at Aryan. Khushi couldn't believe her own ears and looked at Aryan.

"Had I walked in a little later," Arnav continued, 'I probably would have-"

"That's enough Arnav," Aryan said.

Khushi pursed her lips, trying to stop herself from smiling. The way Aryan's face had turned red from embarrassment was just too cute.

"Like father, like son," Khushi said.

"Actually in our case, it's like father & mother-"

Aryan stopped himself and looked at Arnav. Khushi looked at him confusedly and then at Arnav. Arnav was looking down, the amusement on his face gone. Without a word, he got up and left.

"Arnav," Khushi called out.

She went after him but Arnav didn't stop and went upstairs. Khushi stood there, completely puzzled by her husband's actions.

Aryan came behind her and put his hand on her shoulder. "Just give him a moment."

Khushi looked at him confusedly. "Why did he leave like that? Is it because you mentioned Ma?"

Aryan nodded.

"But why? He usually doesn't react this way."

Aryan looked down. "It's Shalini's death anniversary today."

Khushi gasped. "It is? But why didn't anyone say anything?"

"Because we never speak of it."

Khushi scrunched her eyebrows. "I don't understand. And why didn't anyone mention this last year?"

"Arnav doesn't like it when we do something on her death anniversary. Ever since he was young, he hated it when we held a puja. So for his sake, we never do anything, mention it or bring her up during these times."

Khushi looked up the stairs. "He still can't get over it."

"I think he chooses not to be reminded because he wants to get over it. But no matter how many years pass, it doesn't get any easier."

"But I don't understand," she said, looking back at him "Why didn't anyone say anything last year? Or at least mention it to me?"

"Because Arnav knew you'd try to do something," he smiled softly.

Khushi pursed her lips.

"Remember when he kept going to the city for business?"

Khushi nodded and realization struck her. "He left because of that."

Aryan nodded.

Khushi's expression saddened. "Poor Arnav."

"Why don't you go on up to him."

Khushi nodded and did just that. She went on up to their room but when she entered, she didn't see Arnav. She looked around the room and froze when she saw a part of the wall open like a door.

What on earth, Khushi wondered.

She went over to it and  looked at it confusedly. Of all her time here, she had never even noticed something odd about the wall. Khushi peered in and saw a little hallway. With a gulp, Khushi entered and walked down the hall. She entered a vast room and found Arnav sitting in a chair by the fireplace.

"Arnav?"

Arnav snapped out of thought and looked at her and Khushi gaped.

Arnav was crying.

Khushi made her way over to Arnav and he took her hand and pulled her into his lap. He buried his face in her neck and Khushi held him securely.

"Arnav, are you okay," Khushi asked softly.

Arnav didn't reply so Khushi pulled away slightly and held his face in her hands. He looked down and Khushi tilted his head up so he'd meet her eyes.

"Look at me," Khushi said softy.

Arnav did and Khushi's heart clenched. She hated seeing him like this.

"Talk to me," Khushi said softly.

Arnav pulled her in closer and she laid her head on his chest. For a moment they were quiet, the sound of crackling from the fireplace echoing in the room.

"I miss her," Arnav finally said.

Khushi held his hand to her chest, waiting for him to continue.

"When I was young, I thought she would come back," he continued. "I thought since they didn't find her body, she was still out there."

Khushi bit her lip to hold back her gasp. She was surprised by the information, but she didn't want to interrupt Arnav.

"I waited but year after year passed. Eventually I realized how stupid I was being, so I left town and stayed in the city to escape it all."

"But you came back," Khushi said. "You came here in your final year, just like Ma."

Arnav nodded then he sighed. He shut his eyes and nuzzled Khushi’s hair.

Both sat there for a while, embracing the crackles the fireplace made. Khushi understood that Arnav needed this.

Arnav sighed. "Would you do something for me?"

"Anything," Khushi replied.

"Will you visit my mother's grave with me?"

Khushi caressed his face. "Of course."

Arnav kissed her forehead. "Thank you," he whispered against it.

"Anything  for you," Khushi whispered back.

Arnav gazed at her then sealed her lips with his. "I love you so much," he breathed in between kisses.

"I love you too."

*~*

Khushi looked at Arnav. "I'm ready."

Arnav reached out and took her hand.  He placed a kiss in the palm of her hand then led them out. They headed out of the house and got in Arnav's car. He drove off into town, leaving it behind to go to the cemetery. Arnav eventually stopped and the two got out of the car. Arnav took Khushi's hand and he led her up a small hill to Shalini's grave. Khushi caught her breath at the sight of the polished, black marble tombstone. 

"Because we never found her body, my dad decided to put this tombstone in," Arnav clarified. "This way if we missed her a lot, we had a place to go."

Arnav crouched down and sat by the tombstone. Khushi joined him and sat down beside him. Arnav took her hand in his then looked at the tombstone.

"Hey Ammu. I'm sorry this took so long, but I brought your daughter in law," Arnav said.

Khushi smiled softly. Although it may seem weird to some that Arnav was talking to the tombstone, Khushi didn't think of it that way.

"I hope you aren't mad that I took so long," Arnav continued. "You know how difficult it is for me. Plus, to be honest, I've been very distracted lately. Thanks to a certain someone," he said, looking at Khushi.

Khushi blushed, a soft smile playing on her lips.

Arnav continued on with his conversation with his mother and Khushi watched in awe. He was very happy, chatting away and telling his mother everything since the last time he had been here. 

Arnav sighed. "I miss you Ammu. I really wish you were here with us."

"But she is," Khushi said, taking Arnav's hand and placing it over his heart. "Right here."

Arnav smiled and pulled Khushi into his lap.

"Arnav, what are you doing? Not in front of Ma!"

"Please, she'd be happy to see us like this. Ecstatic really." He tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear. "I wish she was here so she could personally meet you, see you."

"She watches over us everyday," Khushi smiled softly 

Arnav looked up at the moonlit sky. "She does, doesn't she."

Khushi nodded. "And she always wants the best for her son."

Arnav looked at Khushi. She smiled softly and he caressed her face. 

"I love you Khushi."

"I love you too Arnav."

Arnav brought his face close to hers to give her a kiss, when Khushi placed her hand over Arnav's lips.

"Arnav, not in front of Ma."

"She doesn't care," and he moved her hand out of the way and sealed her lips with his.

Khushi could feel all of his emotions pouring through thus kiss. The love, the passion, and the intensity was expressed through their kiss. She knew Arnav needed her more than ever, and she would always be there for her.

"I need you now," Arnav said in between kisses.

Khushi understood that he didn't just mean the he needed her, but that be needed her.

And Khushi did as well.

"Take me home," Khushi breathed.

Without another word, Arnav got up on his feet, picking Khushi up. He took her back to the car and drove home.

As Arnav drove away, a figure appeared behind one of the trees.

It won't be long now.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my God why do I have a feeling that Dai Ma/Divya has something to do with Shalini's disappearance

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a very big twist is on its way.. Please continue the story..

    ReplyDelete